Have you added a cookie consent popup in WordPress yet?
As per the EU cookie law, if your website gets visitors from Europe, then you must add a cookie consent banner to your site. However, beginner finds it difficult to add a cookie consent notice to their site.
In this article, we’ll learn how to create a cookie consent popup in WordPress.
What is Cookie?
A cookie is data that a web server sends to your web browser while visiting a particular website. It is simply a packet of information that usually includes a unique user ID and website name. It is used to keep track of your visits and activity on a website. The main purpose of a cookie is to identify the users and improve the user experience. It recalls users login information and preference when they re-visit the site.
What to Add in the Cookie Consent Popup?
The main purpose behind creating a cookie consent popup is to get a visitor’s consent to use a cookie. Hence, you must consider the following elements while creating a cookie banner:
- The cookie banner notice needs to be displayed as soon as the visitors arrive at your website.
Create a Cookie Consent Popup in WordPress
First of all, you need to install and activate a CookieYes GDPR Cookie Consent plugin in your WordPress website dashboard. It is a GDPR cookie consent and compliance notice plugin that can help you to make your site GDPR ready.
Step 1: Enable Cookie Bar
- After activating the plugin, you’ll see a GDPR cookie consent panel. Navigate to it and click on setting.
- There you’ll see many tabs. First, go to general tabs then enable cookie bar then select the type of law from given options.
- Click on the update setting button.
Step 2: Customize Cookie Bar
- Go to customize cookie bar tab. Then enter the cookie message on the message box.
- Then choose the cookie bar color, text color and fonts.
- Next click on the popup option then right tick on yes to add the overlay.
- Finally, click on the update setting button to save the changes.
Step 3: Customize Accept Button
- Type the button text on the box and choose the text color.
- Select either button option or link option.
- Lastly, save the changes by clicking on the update setting blue button.
Make sure to provide the option to accept or reject cookies with the notice banner. So that viewer can easily give their consent as stated in the GDPR rule.
That’s it! You’ve successfully created GDPR compliant cookie banner in your WordPress site.
Thus, you can easily create a cookie consent popup in WordPress by following our step by step guide. I hope you find this article helpful. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
You might also like to read other related articles: